Sunday, December 19, 2010

Plagiarism sucks!!


I really hate plagiarism, and much to my disappointment, today I found my work being so comfortably uploaded on a website. That sounds flattering, but what pissed me off was that the uploader (some Gaurav) actually claimed it to be HIS! (I've highlighted those parts in the image above with a yellow box). I don't know who that guy is, but this is really disappointing, especially because I had worked really hard on that piece and spent many sleepless nights on it.

I know as of now, I can't really do much about it. I'm just one ME. And anyway this is not some super awesome animation to overreact to. But the point is plagiarism is really a serious problem in our field. Using watermark is a solution, but I think it spoils the beauty of the work. But then I guess that's the only way to protect our work from these plagiarists.

11 comments:

Nic Cabana said...

Man that sucks. How can you even live with the fact that your posting someone else's stuff as if you made it

Gaurav Joshi said...

Hi,

As my name also a Gaurav Joshi,
So i want to know that which one is your stuff...
whichever you are claming...

So that i feel relax that i am not your victim...

:)

Gaurav Joshi said...

hi Dapoon,

I saw your original post ...
and this one also..
i am with you...
it is really... very shameful for our industry...
Let's see what we can do..!

Yashu said...

Ohhh... man shameful.. shamefull.. hell.. how these people can do like this....

Gani said...

are aware myows(my original works). using their website you can copyright your works easily.. to protect yourself from situations like these.

Dapoon said...

Thanks for the concern guys! :)

@ Gaurav, haha! It's definitely not you! :D

@ Gani, that's an amazing website! I didn't know about this! Thanks for letting me know! :)

Asif said...

Bloddy Hell!!! Bud you should Sue that a** h***. I can't believe how shameless people can get, that's so ridiculous. Why is it that 90% of the time we see such incidents are mostly from an Indian :( That really makes me sad...

Aisibi said...

See, What you could do is post the link to that site here and we'll spread the word- visit the site where it is posted and call the bluff!
Great animation, over reaction or not.. It's yours!! Bleddy thief!

Dapoon said...

@ Asif, I know that sucks right? When will we learn work ethics?

@ Asibi, thank you so much for your concern. :) I've already linked his website in my post (just click on the word 'website' there). He has made the video 'private' now though. :D

G1toons said...

I have had this experience, what you can do is let him know by leaving a comment also , what i do now is put a water mark on my reel, I have my name pasted across the whole reel as when my work was stolen i had my name on the corner of the reel but they erased that out

Dapoon said...

Thanks G1toons! I did let him know about it but he simply deleted my comment and now has made the video private. Using watermark is definitely a solution but it comes with the price of distracting the viewer from the work.

Fortunately enough, I had posted this work long before he did and quite a lot of animators know it's done by me. So that's a brighter side. But it could not be the same for others.