Monday, May 30, 2011

Alienate people (AnimationRigs second annual animation contest)

Hey guys, I had entered the AnimationRigs second annual animation contest and here's my entry.



(YouTube link in case Vimeo doesn't work)

I secured a place as Honorable mention I (I'm guessing it's the fourth rank) out of 45 entries. And it means quite a lot to me since one of the judges was my idol CARLOS BAENA!Yay!!

It was great fun entering this contest, especially so because it was my first time making a quadruped act! Haha! Congrats to all who took part! Also thanks to all who voted for me for the Members Choice award, but unfortunately they removed that category due to 'suspicious' voting. And of course kudos to my buddy Sarath Thomas for the incredible lighting! Check out his tutorial for this shot here.

Here's a shot progression of the piece.



Animated in: MAYA 2011

EDIT: Here's a video compilation of the winners.

EDIT 2: The super awesome Mark Harris from Pixar did a super awesome review of my shot. It really opened up my eyes to a lot of mistakes that I've been making in my animations obliviously! HUGE thanks to AnimSchool and of course Mark Harris for doing this! :)


Creative Commons License
Alienate People by Dapoon Rai Dewan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

17 comments:

Rimmel Livera said...

yays! :)coooool!!!!

Sumeet Surve said...

Man this is Inspiring. I just keep watching it again and again and it gets more lively and lively. Good Character choice and congrats on winning the 4th place.

Adil dekate said...

This is great wok man ! Loved the dog's acting... awesome ! :D

Yashu said...

i'am loving it...

Dapoon said...

Thanks a lot guys!! Had a great time animating this shot. There are some really embarrassing mistakes though! :D

Here's to doing even greater work in the future. :)

Mitali P said...

wow! this is amazing stuff..
love the little tail wag for the dog.. and "get outta here"
this is brilliant.. hehe

Best of luck, Dapoon!

Dapoon said...

Haha!! Thanks Mits! :D

Pooja Krishnan said...

this is just wonderful! i've seen it over and over again so many times already! really inspiring :)

Dapoon said...

Thank you so much Pooja!! :)

damncreative said...

Yoooo dapssss Man this is just brilliant. Love the whole acting choice and honestly this is great for first time trying quadpeds. Just love the whole piece. You deserve the honor . cheers

Dapoon said...

Yo yo yo thanks bro! :D

erica said...

Hey, thanks for the comment! I really liked your entry and thought it was one of the top picks for sure. Congrats on the honorable mention! Quadrupeds are a real challenge.

Thanks for posting your WIPs too, great stuff!

Dapoon said...

Thanks Erica! It was definitely challenging but worth it all along! :)

P.S. Sorry I misspelled your name on your blog!

Andrew said...

Sorry i'm late =D
This looks fantastic and i can see where ideas have been tweaked and added. Thanks for taking the time to do these shot progressions as it really helps out. I think it's been said quite a bit but it is very inspiring. Oh and excellent (can't stress this enough) work on the dog's weight shifts and lead and follow on the head and ears. Fantastic work =D

Dapoon said...

Thanks for the really kind words Andrew! Here's to doing even better work in the future! :)

Ram said...

Wooo Dapoon..

Final pass really hooked me up..

nice yaa

Dapoon said...

Thanks Ram! :D